Monday, December 16, 2013

Chicken Fried Chicken


This recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com


 

I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and I cut them up to be the size of nuggets. I put the nuggets into an egg and milk wash-the recipe doesn't call for milk, but milk makes it more tender.  I LOVE these bowls from IKEA!


Then I got my cast iron pan with oil ready. I usually add more flour and potato flakes than the recipe calls for, I also add seasonings like paprika and garlic.  You can add whatever you like, my mom uses Parmesan Cheese to her recipe, mmm...I forgot until I was nearly done or would have added that too! 

I don't add salt because the crackers have so much salt, also 1 sleeve is 36 crackers, so I started with two sleeves. 

I only buy potato flakes for this recipe--that tells you how good it is.


Make sure your oil is hot enough to fry but not so hot it spits at you or burns the chicken crust. I put my burner on 5 or 6.

I am making a large amount to have leftovers, so I will put my pan in the oven to stay warm, and ensure it's done cooking, while I am frying the rest. 

Also I figure if I am going to do all this work, I might as well make it worth it!



Since I'm doing a large amount I add more crackers, flakes, etc. to my bowl as needed.

We ate it with green beans and mashed potatoes and gravy....mmmm. SO GOOD, and moist!



Submitted By: CASSJW
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Servings: 6
"Potato flakes are the secret ingredient that make the saltine crust on this simple chicken-fried chicken dish so tasty."
Ingredients:
30 saltine crackers
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dry potato flakes
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 egg
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Directions:
1. Place crackers in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and crush crackers with a rolling pin until they are coarse crumbs. Add the flour, potato flakes, seasoned salt, and pepper and mix well.
2. Beat egg in a shallow dish or bowl. One by one, dredge chicken pieces in egg, then place in bag with crumb mixture. Seal bag and shake to coat.
3. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Fry chicken, turning frequently, until golden brown and juices run clear, 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment