Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Home Made Donuts

So for Hanukkah I wanted to make some home made jelly filled donuts, so I went online to AllRecipes.com and found a recipe and tried it.


We used the jelly we made this summer: raspberry, peach, chokecherry and cherry pomegranate! Way better than store bought jelly!

I mixed up the dough with my Kitchen Aid:

  • 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)




  • 1/3 cup water




  • 1 egg, beaten




  • 3 tablespoons margarine, melted




  • 3/4 cup white sugar




  • 4 1/2 cups bread flour




  • 1 teaspoon salt




  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg




  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast




  • The nutmeg makes it look so beautiful.

    I then rolled out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and used canning rings to make circles.

    Handsome Husband put 1/2 tsp. of our home made jelly and matched up the circles with water for glue.


    I then let them rise for 45 minutes and fried in my french fryer for 2-3 minutes on 375 (I think next time I will turn it down some, as these turned out a little 'doughy') making sure I turned them halfway through.


    I then put them on a towel to drain and HH sprinkled powdered sugar on some and a cinnamon/sugar mixture on the rest.

    My daughter "the artist" took the left over dough and rolled some donut holes, I did those last and they got sprinkled too!


    It was our first time making homemade donuts and they turned out pretty tasty! I think next time I will make a glaze and drizzle some on them.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment